Mark C. Meachem
Assistant Professor of Communication Studies
Director, Division of Arts and Sciences
Casey Hall 19
B.A. - Journalism, St. Michael’s College
M.S. - Management Communication, Manhattanville College
Ed.D - Media Studies, Fielding Graduate University
Dr. Meachem has taught Communications at Dominican College since 2003. He is currently the Director of the Arts & Sciences Division at the college. With a background in journalism, Professor Meachem has worked as a newspaper reporter and as a magazine editor for a national publication. His academic interests include Media Studies, Media Law, Interpersonal Communication, and Communication in online environments. Professor Meachem also has had professional experience as a corporate trainer, teaching business professionals to improve their communication skills.
He is the author of several articles in both magazines and newspapers as well as the book Robert Philipp, The Last American Impressionist published in 2005. He also wrote, directed, and developed “Business Etiquette,” a CD-ROM on business communication, released in 2003.
Professor Meachem’s public presentations include:
- Social Capital and its correlation to Massive Multiplayer Online
Games,” Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association National
Conference, April 2012, Boston, MA.
- “The Power of Social Capital in MMOGs:
Cooperative Behaviors and Cronyism in World of Warcraft,” Eastern
Communication Association, April 16, 2011, Arlington, VA.
- “Helping You to Help Me: Pursuing Self-Interests in World of Warcraft and its Correlation to
Offline Social Capital,” virtual presentation for the International
Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, November 2009, Madrid, Spain.
- “Truth, Justice and the American Media: presented at the 10th Biennial Colloquium of Dominican Colleges and Universities, June 2008, Madison, WI.
- “Flexible Learning, the changing classroom and technology. The roles of faculty and students in the 21st century learning environment,” presented at the 9th Biennial Colloquium of Dominican Colleges and Universities, June 2006, Orangeburg, NY.
- “Defining the Media in the Digital Age,” panel sponsored by the Palisades Institute, February 2006.
- The U.S. and the World – Dual Perspectives, panel discussion, April 2004.
Professor Meachem continues to be involved with several organizations and honors societies, including:
- National Communication Association
- Eastern Communication Association
- Member Alpha Chi Honor Society
- American Society of Training and Development
- Ridgefield (CT) Library Board of Directors, 2002-2009
- Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honor Society
- Delta Epsilon Sigma National Honor Society
- Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals 2002, 2003