||Director: Claudia L. Moreno
Location: Casey Hall Room 104
Phone: (845) 848-4078
Fax: (845) 359-7801
About the Program
The Social Work Program is one of several within the Division of Social Sciences. If you are interested in helping people, social justice and/or community action, you can acquire the basic skills and knowledge through our BSW program. This degree leads to generalist social work practice in a social agency or institution and allows for eligibility into the second year of a MSW program (referred to as advanced standing).
The social work program exists as an integral part of the liberal arts offerings. The program is designed to provide the student with insights about the biopsychosocial development of individuals as well as global knowledge including social justice, economic equality, and cultural awareness. The program is concerned with the needs of the vulnerable and those who are in a powerless position in society. We call on the “strengths perspective and empowerment” theory in order to consider the needs of the underclass. Major theories, skills and self-awareness are incorporated into our program to provide our students with a rich foundation in the field of social work.
The program is designed to provide:
- Excellent preparation to students who intend to pursue graduate studies in social work;
- Preparation for an advanced standing entrance into social work graduate studies; and
- Thorough preparation to enter the field as a professional beginning-level generalist-practitioner in any field of social work practice.
The Major in Social Work
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in social work will need a concentration of 18 credits in one of the social sciences as well as nine credits in two of the other social sciences: Psychology, Political Science, Sociology, History, and Economics
- Contact the Admissions Office
- Contact the Director of Social Work, Dr. Claudia Moreno.
- Arrange an appointment with one of the Social Sciences Faculty.
- Please contact the Program's secretary at (845) 848-4077 to make an appointment.